TWiV reviews the difficulties in predicting species susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection by only examining the ACE2 protein, and the olfactory mucosa as a portal of entry into the central nervous system in COVID-19 patients.
Guest: Amy Rosenfeld
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- NYC will create pandemic response institute (NY Bus J) 3:21
- Comparison of ACE2 in vertebrates (PNAS) 14:10
- Olfactory transmucosal invasion of CNS by SARS-CoV-2 (Nat Neurosci) 40:28
- Letters read on TWiV 690 1:06:23
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:38:52
Dickson – National Geographic best animal photos of 2020
Amy – American Contagions: Epidemics and the law from Smallpox to COVID-19 by John Fabian Witt
Alan – HamSCI citizen science organization
Rich – DeepMind’s AI makes gigantic leap in solving protein structures
Vincent – Army Ants: Nature’s Ultimate Social Hunters by Daniel Kronauer
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org