TWiV examines the claim by Brazil’s ANVISA that the Sputnik vaccine contains replication-competent adenovirus, and a role for the furin cleavage site in SARS-CoV-2 spike for efficient reproduction in the respiratory tract, evasion of antiviral IFITM proteins, and transmission in ferrets.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- ASV vaccine town halls 3:15
- Brazil rejects Gamaleya vaccine (Sci Transl Med) 5:07
- Russian vaccine behavior (Sci Transl Med) 5:13
- Is Gamaleya vaccine safe? (Science) 28:29
- Furin cleavage site in replication and transmission (Nat Micro) 35:02, 43:04
- Furin site loss attenuates pathogenesis (Nature) 42:12
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:22:29
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org