The Guardians of the TWiV-o-verse discuss the process of codon deoptimization for the production of experimental infectious attenuated viral vaccines, and how a respiratory syncytial virus with 619 base changes was rescued by genomes with very large internal deletions.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- NIDO 2021 Symposium 2:04
- ASV hosts free COVID-19 Vaccine Education Town Halls (register here) 2:33
- Research position in Spindler laboratory 3:43
- Attenuation of poliovirus by codon deoptimization (Science) 8:00
- Rescue of codon-deoptimized RSV by large deletions (PNAS) 6:12
- Letters read on TWiV 740 57:08
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:20:38
Dickson – Let us now praise tiny ants
Brianne – Small-school science
Rich – Smallpox ‘virus squads’ and the mandatory vaccinations upheld by the Supreme Court
Kathy – The Transcontinental Burrito Tunnel
Vincent – Glass music by Robert Tiso
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com