TWiV explains how remdesivir inhibits the SARS-CoV-2 RNA polymerase: the drug is incorporated into the growing RNA chain and causes synthesis to stall when the drug clashes with an amino acid in the active site.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- How remdesivir stalls the SARS-CoV-2 polymerase (Nat Comm) 7:17
- Movie of polymerase stalling (Nat Comm) 10:58, 42:00
- Second mechanism of remdesivir inhibition (J Biol Chem) 46:58
- Watson Crick molecular model (Science Museum Group) 1:37:59
- Letters read on TWiV 819 50:01, 1:38:21
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:27:02
Kathy – Great Lakes Science Center, Cleveland
Rich – How to Temporarily Disable Your Keyboard with a Keyboard Shortcut in Windows
Alan – How to Make a Slave and Other Essays by Jerald Walker
Vincent – A structure for deoxyribose nucleic acid
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org