TWiV reviews the new nomenclature for SARS-CoV-2 variants, effectiveness of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine against variants, modified Moderna vaccine against variants, impact of COVID-19 interventions on influenza in China and the US, and binding of RaTG13 spike protein to ACE2 of multiple species.
Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, and Brianne Barker
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 765 (68 MB .mp3, 114 min)
Subscribe (free): iTunes, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Updated nomenclature of SARS-CoV-2 variants (WHO) 3:35
- Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine effective against alpha variants (Lancet) 17:34
- Novavax vaccine effective against beta variants (NEJM) 23:28
- Moderna updated vaccine against beta and gamma variants (medRxiv) 31:11
- Impact of COVID-19 interventions against influenza (Nat Comm) 44:10
- RaTG13 spike binding to various ACE2 proteins (Cell) 1:03:14
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:33:28
Dickson – NASA’s Juno to Get a Close Look at Jupiter’s Moon Ganymede
Brianne – Send in the Bugs. The Michelangelos Need Cleaning.
Rich – All landers and rovers on Mars animated in video with human scale
Alan – Weird case cluster reported in MMWR 40 years ago; update on disease
Vincent – Virus isolates, strains, variants – what are they?
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply