In his weekly clinical update, Dr. Griffin discusses stress in America 2023, CDC expanding testing of international air traveler samples to include flu, RSV, and other respiratory viruses, missed opportunities for preventing congenital syphilis, intrinsic and effective severity of COVID-19 cases infected with the ancestral strain and omicron BA.2 variant in Hong Kong, T-cell immunity against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 measured by an interferon-γ release assay is strongly associated with patient outcomes in vaccinated persons hospitalized with delta or omicron variants, masks during pandemics caused by respiratory pathogens, behavioral factors and SARS-CoV-2 transmission heterogeneity within a household cohort in Costa Rica, convalescent plasma for Covid-19–induced ARDS in mechanically ventilated patients, and olfactory and gustatory function 3 years after mild COVID-19.
Click arrow to play
Download Download TWiV 1060 (27 MB .mp3, 38 min)
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Stress in America 2023 (APA)
- CDC expands testing of international air traveler samples to include flu RSV, and other respiratory viruses (CDC) 3:39
- Missed opportunities for preventing congenital syphilis (CDC) 6:31
- Intrinsic and effective severity of COVID-19 case infected with BA.2 variant (JID) 9:32
- Masks during pandemics caused by respiratory pathogens (JAMA) 15:29
- Behavioral factors and SARS-CoV-2 transmission within a household cohort (Nature) 22:19
- Convalescent plasma for Covid-19–induced ARDS in mechanically ventilated patients (NEJM) 24L59
- Olfactory and gustatory function 3 years after mild COVID-19 (JAMA) 28:49
- Contribute to our MicrobeTV fundraiser at PWB 29:53
- Letters read on TWiV on TWiV 1060 30:22
- Dr. Griffin’s COVID treatment summary (pdf)
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org