TWiV reviews the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine awarded to Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman for their identification nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19, and accelerated mutation of SARS-CoV-2 in white-tailed deer.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- MicrobeTV Discord Server
- MicrobeTV store at Cafepress
- Spike shirts at vaccinated.us (promo code Microbetv) 4:13
- Research assistant position in Rosenfeld Lab CBER/FDA (pdf) 3:39
- 2023 Nobel Prize Physiology or Medicine (Nobelprize.org) 7:26
- Evading a toll on the road to mRNA vaccines (TWiV 860) 7:57
- Katalin Karikó‘s overlooked work (Wired)
- Accelerated mutation of SARS-CoV-2 in deer (Nat Comm) 25:57
- Letters read on TWiV 1051 1:18:47
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:32:42
Dickson – The New City. How to Build Our Sustainable Urban Future
Angela – 2023 Nobel Peace Prize
Alan – The Ruin of All Witches, by Malcolm Gaskill
Vincent – France kicks off bird flu vaccination despite trade backlash risk
Charles – David Brooks and the $78 airport meal the internet is talking about
John – Periodic Table of the Elements: Origins of the Elements
AZ – Bronze statue of laboratory mouse knitting DNA in Russia
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com