In his weekly clinical update, Dr. Griffin discusses how antibiotics don’t reduce risk of death from viral respiratory infections, norovirus infections continue to rise in the US, ABO blood types and SARS-CoV-2 infection assessed using seroprevalence data in a large population-based sample, maternal third dose of BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine and risk of infant COVID-19 hospitalization, association of treatment with Nirmatrelvir and the risk of Post–COVID-19 condition, mechanically ventilated patients with COVID-19 had a higher chance of in-hospital death if treated with high-flow nasal cannula oxygen before intubation, high-flow nasal cannula and outcomes in COVID-19, severe infection and risk of Cardiovascular disease, and the risk factors associated with post−COVID-19 condition.
Click arrow to play Download TWiV 996 (26 MB .mp3, 43 min)
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Antibiotics don’t reduce risk of death from viral respiratory infections (CIDRAP) 4:28
- ABO blood types and SARS-CoV-2 infection (Nature) 11:08
- Maternal third dose of BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine and risk of infant COVID-19 hospitalization (Nature Medicine) 12:13
- Association of treatment with Nirmatrelvir and risk of post–COVID-19 (JAMA) 16:01, 27:28
- Ventilated patients with COVID-19 had a higher chance of in-hospital death with usage of nasal cannula oxygen (IARS) 17:10
- High-flow nasal cannula and outcomes in COVID-19 (IARS) 19:55
- Severe infection and risk of cardiovascular disease (AHA) 21:58
- Risk factors associated with post−COVID-19 condition (JAMA) 25:19
- Contribute to our ASTMH fundraiser at PWB 31:50
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Letters read on TWiV 996 32:28
- Don’t crush Paxlovid (pdf)
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org