In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin discusses the consistency of COVID-19 trial preprints with published reports and impact for decision making, the negative effect of preexisting immunity on Influenza vaccine responses transcends the impact of vaccine formulation type and vaccination history, highly pathogenic avian influenza A(H5N1) virus infection in farmed minks in Spain, Peru confirms H5N1 avian flu in marine mammals, prior vaccination enhances immune responses during SARS-CoV-2 breakthrough infection with early activation of memory T cells followed by production of potent neutralizing antibodies, bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine for prevention of COVID-19 and other respiratory tract infections in older adults with comorbidities, incidence of chronic spontaneous urticaria following receipt of the COVID-19 vaccine booster in Switzerland, relationship between immune response to SARS-CoV2 vaccines and development of breakthrough infection in solid organ transplant recipients, early treatment with pegylated interferon lambda for COVID-19, and how long-term high-dose immunoglobulin successfully treats long COVID patients with pulmonary, neurologic, and cardiologic symptoms.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Consistency of COVID-19 trial preprints with published reports (BMI) 1:54
- Negative effect of preexisting immunity on Influenza vaccine (JID) 5:02
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza infection in farmed minks (Eurosurveillance) 6:18
- Peru confirms H5N1 avian flu in marine mammals (CIDRAP) 9:08
- Prior vaccination enhances immune responses during SARS-CoV-2 infection (bioRxiv) 19:52
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine for prevention of COVID-19 and respiratory infections (CMI) 22:11
- Incidence of spontaneous Urticaria following COVID-19 vaccine booster (JAMA) 22:40
- Relationship between immune response to SARS-CoV2 vaccines and breakthrough infection in transplant recipients (CID) 24:56
- Early treatment with Pegylated Interferon Lambda for COVID-19 (NEJM) 26:58
- Long-term high-dose immunoglobulin successfully treats Long COVID patients (Frontiers) 33:48
- Contribute to our ASTMH fundraiser at PWB 35:55
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Letters read on TWiV 982 36:28
- Don’t crush Paxlovid (pdf)
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org