In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin discusses the infectiousness of SARS-CoV-2 breakthrough infections and reinfections during the Omicron wave, virological characteristics of the SARS-CoV-2 XBB variant derived from recombination of two Omicron subvariants, antibody evasion properties of rising SARS-CoV-2 BQ and XBB subvariants, comparative effectiveness of third doses of mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines in US veterans, time to negative PCR conversion among high-risk patients with mild-to-moderate Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 COVID-19 treated by Sotrovimab or Nirmatrelvir, COVID drug Paxlovid was hailed as a game-changer, what happened?, the Fc-effector function of COVID-19 convalescent plasma contributes to SARS-CoV-2 treatment efficacy in mice, SARS-CoV-2 infection and persistence in the human body and brain at autopsy, long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19, and how heart-disease risk soars after COVID — even with a mild case.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Infectiousness of breakthrough infections & reinfections during Omicron wave (Nature) 3:07
- Virological characteristics of the SARS-CoV-2 XBB variant (bioRxiv) 6:56
- Antibody evasion properties of BQ and XBB subvariants (Cell) 11:25
- Comparative effectiveness of third doses of mRNA vaccines in US veterans (Nature) 18:02
- Time to negative PCR conversion among high-risk patients treated by Sotrovimab or Nirmatrelvir (CMI) 19:46
- Paxlovid patient eligbiliity screening checklist (FDA)
- COVID drug Paxlovid was hailed as a game-changer. What happened? (Nature) 21:18
- Fc-effector function of COVID-19 convalescent plasma contributes to treatment efficacy (Cell) 24:34
- SARS-CoV-2 infection and persistence in the human body and brain at autopsy (Nature) 29:41
- Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19 (Nature) 33:40
- Heart-disease risk soars after COVID (Nature) 34:31
- Contribute to our MicrobeTV fundraiser at PWB 35:20
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Letters read on TWiV 972 36:12
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to email@example.com