TWiV reviews eukaryotic viruses recovered from ancient permafrost, a mistake made by scientists on Omicron origins, and close relatives of MERS-CoV from bats that bind ACE2 for entry into cells.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Support MicrobeTV with a Spike t-shirt (Vaccinated.us) with promo code MicrobeTV 4:14
- Positions with the Mosquito and Vector Control Division in Harris County Public Health (one and two) 7:12
- Ancient eukaryotic viruses from permafrost (bioRxiv) 8:03
- We made a mistake (Science) 26:41
- Bat MERS-like CoV bind ACE2 (Nature) 33:53
- Letters read on TWiV 968 1:01:33
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 8:26, 1:26:21
Dickson – Alto Saxophone: Paul Desmond/Cannonball Adderley/Charlie Parker/Randal Despommier: Paul Desmond: Signature album: Paul Desmond:The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (1961-1965). Signature song: Take Five (Dave Brubeck Quartet). Cannonball Adderley: Signature album: The Cannonball Adderley Quintet: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Signature song: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Charlie Parker (Bird): played in many groups: Signature album: Dizzy Gillespie and His Allstars. Signature song: A Night In Tunisia; Randal Despommier: Signature album: A Midsummer Odyssey. Signature song: I Hope It’s Spring For You.
Brianne – How a See-Through Frog Hides its Red Blood from Predators (also covered in The Atlantic)
Rich – Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana
Vincent – Unveiling skin macrophage dynamics explains both tattoo persistence and strenuous removal
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com