In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin discusses high demand for Amoxicillin causing shortages amid child RSV surge, epidemiologic and clinical features of children and adolescents aged <18 years with monkeypox, low risk of SARS-Cov-2 transmission by fomites, nucleocapsid antigenemia is a marker of acute SARS-CoV-2 infection, impact of community masking on COVID-19, protection against Omicron from vaccination and previous infection in a prison system, Nirmatrelvir and the risk of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19, Bebtelovimab for high-risk outpatients with early COVID-19 in a large US health system, imprinted SARS-CoV-2 humoral immunity induces convergent Omicron RBD evolution, can SARS-CoV-2 trigger new onset of autoimmune disease in adults? A case-based review, and retrospectively modeling the effects of increased global vaccine sharing on the COVID-19 pandemic.
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 953 (33 MB .mp3, 55 min)
Subscribe (free): Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- High demand for Amoxicillin causing shortages amid RSV surge (Washington Post) 3:39
- Epidemiologic and clinical features of children & adolescents with monkeypox (CDC) 6:18
- Low risk of SARS-Cov2 transmission by fomites (IDSA) 12:44
- Nucleocapsid Antigenemia Is a marker of acute SARS-CoV-2 Infection (JID) 15:45
- Impact of community masking on COVID-19 (Science) 17:00
- Remdesivir fact sheet for providers (Veklury)
- Protection against Omicron from vaccination & previous infection in prison system (NEJM) 18:39
- Nirmatrelvir and the risk of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (medRxiv) 23:36
- Bebtelovimab for high-risk outpatients with COVID-19 (OFID) 32:05
- Imprinted SARS-CoV-2 immunity induces convergent Omicron evolution (bioRxiv) 33:53
- PAXLOVID patient eligibility screening checklist (FDA)
- Can SARS-CoV-2 trigger new onset of autoimmune disease in adults? (Cell) 40:46
- Bebtelovimab fact sheet for providers (FDA)
- Modeling the effects of global vaccine sharing on the COVID-19 pandemic (Nature) 42:14
- Contribute to our MicrobeTV fundraiser at PWB 45:08
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Letters read on TWiV 953 45:56
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org
The problem with TWiV 952 isn’t that you had a West Coast ID physician on, it’s that you invited the wrong one. The right choice is Monica Gandhi. Her reflections on ID Week 2022 (along with those of IDSA president Carlos del Rio) can be heard at https://youtu.be/24Fchp-P1co?t=1312.
[Unrelated to Dr. Gandhi, The Febrile Podcast also has an ID Week episode at https://febrilepodcast.com/58-idweek2022/.%5D
Having Dr. Gandhi on as a TWiV guest is one option, Others include having her on Immune, having her on the Infectious Disease Puscast or, for Sara Dong, having her on The Febrile Podcast. Relative to the masking letter and discussion one could set up a debate between Dr. Gandhi, who does not favor extending mask mandates, with People’s CDC co-founder Robert Wallace, who does (https://aag-hmgsg.org/profiles-of-health-geographers/profile-robert-wallace/). One could also ask Monica, Daniel and Sara who they favor to lead NIAID when Tony Fauci retires, and why.