TWiV reviews findings that increased fitness of the Omicron variant is due to immune evasion, not an increase in intrinsic transmissibility, and determination of infectious viral load in patients infected with wild type, Delta and Omicron viruses reveals lack of correlation with RNA loads determined by RT-PCR, similar levels of shedding among Delta and Omicron, and greatly reduced shedding in vaccinated people.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Travel Award Applications (ASV) 3:20
- Omicron transmission in Danish households (medRxiv) 15:34
- Infectious viral load in vaccinated and unvaccinated patients (medRxiv) 1:02:37
- Fred Murphy on TWiV 625 1:48:59
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:40:03
Dickson – Favorite Science Photos of 2021
Brianne – Viruses, Vaccines, and COVID-19 videos from American Museum of Natural History
Kathy – Klompas et al. “Current insights into respiratory virus transmission…”
Rich – Leviathan Falls by James S.A. Corey
Vincent – Ebola (1996) by David Molesky at The Incubator
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org