Ron Fouchier explains why increased transmission of SARS-CoV-2-variants has not been demonstrated, and their ability to displace ancestral variants is due to greater fitness, much like influenza virus antigenic variation leads to better fitness and replacement of previously circulating variants.
Guest: Ron Fouchier
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Ron Fouchier on TWiV 177, 291, 557 1:08
- Mutations driving H5N1 airborne transmission in ferrets (Cell) 2:37
- SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 transmission among ferrets (Nat Comm) 7:15
- Avian influenza virus transmission among seals (Cell Host Micr) 4:05
- Letters read on TWiV 777 1:02:45
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:29:02
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org