Arturo Casadevall joins TWiV to discuss the use of convalescent plasma to treat COVID-19, including a history of the process, how plasma is prepared and tested, why it is difficult to conduct randomized clinical trials, how this treatment has fared and his hopes for the future.
Guest: Arturo Casadevall
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Victory for Scientific Pragmatism (New Atlantis) 50:11
- Convalescent plasma levels and risk of COVID-19 death (NEJM) 15:29, 23:08
- COVID-19 convalescent plasma safety indicators (JCI)
- COVID-19 convalescent plasma reduces mortality (medRxiv) 39:11
- Pfizer mRNA vaccine in 12-15 year olds (Pfizer) 1:10:12
- NIDO 2021 Symposium 1:07:11
- ASV hosts free COVID-19 Vaccine Education Town Halls (register here) 1:07:33
- Lab tech position in Kathy Spindler’s lab (on ASV jobs site) 1:09:16
- Letters read on TWiV 739
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:42:35
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org