The TWiV team explains how infectious horsepox virus – likely the ancestor of smallpox vaccines – was recovered from chemically synthesized DNA fragments.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- ASV 2018: asv.org, asv2018.umd.edu
- Potential Zika virus related birth defects, USA (MMWR)
- Bordering on an outbreak (Tex Obs)
- Horsepox virus from synthesized DNA (PLoS One)
- Horsepox based smallpox vaccine (NEJM)
- Has horsepox become extinct? (Vet Rec)
- Evolutionary path of smallpox vaccines (Lancet Inf Dis)
- Equination (Vaccine)
- Image credit
- Letters read on TWiV 478
Weekly Science Picks
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org