Vincent speaks with John Coffin about his career studying retroviruses, including working with Howard Temin, endogenous retroviruses, XMRV, chronic fatigue syndrome and prostate cancer, HIV/AIDS, and his interest in growing cranberries.
TWiV 213: Not bad for a hobby
- December 30, 2012
- Tagged as: accordion, avian influenza, CFS, ebolavirus, epidemiology, H5N1, hepatitis b virus, herpesvirus, measles, NEIDL, placenta, Polio, poliovirus, polydnavirus, poxvirus, prostate cancer, research, viral, virology, virus, virus hunters, Wasp, XMRV, yearly review
In their final episode of the year, the TWiV team reviews twelve cool virology stories from 2012.
Vincent and Ian review a multicenter blinded analysis which finds no association between chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis and XMRV or polytropic murine leukemia virus.
Vincent, Dickson, Rich, and Alan answer listener questions about XMRV, cytomegalovirus, latency, shingles vaccine, myxomavirus and rabbits, and more.
TWiV 164: Six steps forward, four steps back
- January 1, 2012
- Tagged as: AIDS, anti-vaccine, bioterrorism, CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, dengue, H5N1, hepatitis C virus, hiv, hpv, human papillomavirus, influenza, NSABB, panic virus, polio eradication, prostate cancer, retrovirus, symbiosis, vaccination, viral, viral oncotherapy, virology, virus, wolbachia, XMRV, zinc finger
Vincent, Alan, and Rich review ten compelling virology stories of 2011.
TWiV 150: Contaminated
- September 25, 2011
- Tagged as: baculovirus, CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, hcv, hiv, hpv, influenza, narcolepsy, pml, retraction, t cells, Vaccine, viral, virology, virus, XMRV
Vincent, Dickson, and Rich meant to do an all-email episode, but first they review results of the Blood XMRV Scientific Research Working Group, and partial retraction of the paper associating XMRV with chronic fatigue syndrome.
TWiV 136: Exit XMRV
- June 5, 2011
- Tagged as: CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, gammaretrovirus, mecfs, retrovirus, viral, virology, virus, XMRV
Retrovirologist Stephen Goff joins Vincent, Rich, and Alan for a discussion of recent papers on the retrovirus XMRV and its association with chronic fatigue syndrome and prostate cancer.
Vincent, Alan, Dickson and Rich answer listener questions about XMRV, yellow fever vaccine, virus-like particles, West Nile virus, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and human endogenous retroviruses, multiplicity of infection, and how to make a poxvirus.
Vincent, Alan, and Rich talk about XMRV integration sites in prostate tumor DNA, the decline effect and scientific method, and the first virus of Caenorhabditis nematodes.
TWiV 114: Ten out of ’10
- January 2, 2011
- Tagged as: CFS, circovirus, david baltimore, dengue, endogenous virus, influenza, miRNA, plaque, Polio, prostate cancer, retrovirus, siRNA, Vaccine, viral, virology, virus, XMRV
Vincent, Alan, and Rich revisit ten compelling virology stories of 2010.