The arrival in the US of plasmid-mediated resistance to colistin antibiotics, a last line of defense against many gram-negative bacilli, and a quorum sensing system in a eukaryote are topics of this episode hosted by Vincent, Michael, and Michele.
Right click to download TWiM#129 (51 MB .mp3, 71 minutes)
Links for this episode
- E. coli with mcr-1 on a plasmid in the US (AAC)
- Emergence of plasmid mediated colistin resistance in China (The Lancet)
- Major breach in last line of defense (The Lancet)
- Resistance plasmid families in Enterobacteriaceae (AAC)
- EUCAST MIC breakpoints (ClinCalc)
- Role of ASM in microbial resistance one, two (bLogphase)
- Quorum sensing in fungi (Cell Host Microbe)
- Image credit
- Letters read on TWiM 128
This episode is brought to you by CuriosityStream, a subscription streaming service that offers over 1,400 documentaries and nonfiction series from the world’s best filmmakers. Get unlimited access starting at just $2.99 a month, and for our audience, the first two months are completely free if you sign up at curiositystream.com/microbe and use the promo code MICROBE.
Music used on TWiM is composed and performed by Ronald Jenkees and used with permission.
Send your microbiology questions and comments to email@example.com.