In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin discusses increased acute respiratory illnesses among children and adolescents, estimates of monkeypox incubation period, generation time, and reproduction number, rapid increase in suspected SARS-CoV-2 reinfections, interim infection prevention and control recommendations for healthcare personnel during COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2 secondary attack rates in vaccinated and unvaccinated household contacts during replacement of delta with omicron variant, breakthrough infection by SARS-CoV-2 delta and omicron variants elicited immune response comparable to mRNA booster vaccination, interval between prior SARS-CoV-2 infection and booster vaccination impacts magnitude and quality of antibody and B cell responses, further humoral immunity evasion of emerging SARS-CoV-2 BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants, short-course early outpatient Remdesivir prevents severe disease due to COVID-19 in organ transplant recipients during the Omicron BA.2 wave, effectiveness of Molnupiravir in high risk patients, and primary care and a distinct symptom pattern for long COVID.
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 941 (30 MB .mp3, 50 min)
Subscribe (free): Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Research assistant position with Amy Rosenfeld (pdf) 00:42
- Support MicrobeTV with a Spike t-shirt at Vaccinated.US 1:35
- Increase in Acute Respiratory illnesses among children and adolescents (CDC) 3:13
- Estimates of Monkeypox incubation period, generation time, reproduction number (CDC) 8:23
- Rapid increase in suspected SARS-CoV-2 reinfections (CDC) 15:04
- Infection prevention and control recommendations for healthcare providers (CDC) 17:39
- SARS-CoV-2 attack rate in vaccinated and unvaccinated household contacts (CDC) 19:15
- Breakthrough Infection by variants elicited immune response comparable to vaccine (JID) 22:26
- Interval between prior SARS-CoV-2 infection and booster vaccination impacts (CELL) 24:51
- Humoral immunity evasion of BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants (The Lancet) 27:13
- Outpatient Remdesivir prevents severe disease in organ transplant recipients (Am J Transplant) 30:10
- PAXLOVID patient eligibility screening checklist (FDA)
- Remdesivir fact sheet for providers (Veklury)
- Bebtelovimab fact sheet for providers (FDA)
- Effectiveness of Molnupiravir in high risk patients (CID) 32:52
- Update on Long COVID for primary care (BMJ) 36:08
- Distinct symptom pattern emerges for COVID-19 long-haul (Scientific Reports) 41:10
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Contribute to Floating Doctors fundraiser at PWB 42:00
- Letters read on TWiV 941 42:34
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org
HAH! Did you both do rapid antigen tests before getting together for this broadcast? My friend tested positive the other day, and it was lucky I asked him to test b/c I’m waiting for surgery in a few weeks.