In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin reviews the public health response to poliovirus in New York, impact of mandatory influenza vaccination, monkeypox in a young infant, health care worker exposure to monkeypox virus, monkeypox testing delays, transmission potential of monkeypox virus, TPOXX trial for monkeypox, detection of SARS-CoV-2 subgenomic mRNA, mucosal IgA against SARS-CoV-2, BNT262b2 against Omicron, awareness and use of SARS-CoV-2 antivirals, comparable outcomes for Bebtelovimab and Nirmatrelvir, and COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s disease.
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 938 (32 MB .mp3, 53 min)
Subscribe (free): Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Support MicrobeTV with a Spike t-shirt at Vaccinated.US 00:50
- Research assistant position with Amy Rosenfeld (pdf)
- Public health response to polio in New York (MMWR) 3:33
- Impact of mandatory influenza vaccination (Cambridge Core) 11:54
- Monkeypox in young infant (MMWR) 15:07
- Health care worker exposure to monkeypox virus (MMWR) 18:28
- Monkeypox testing delays (Cambridge Core) 20:57
- Monkeypox in smallpox vaccinated patient (Emerg Inf Dis) 22:40
- Transmission potential of monkeypox virus (Int J Epidemiol) 25:07
- TPOXX trial for monkeypox (ACTG) 25:45
- SARS-CoV-2 subgenomic mRNA detection (J Inf Dis) 29:09
- Quantitative SARS-CoV-2 subgenomic mRNA for Remdesivir treatment (Clin Inf Dis) 32:41
- Anti-spike mucosal IgA (NEJM) 34:21
- BNT262b2 against Omicron sublineages (NEJM) 35:23
- Awareness and use of SARS-CoV-2 antivirals (Clin Inf Dis) 37:11
- Comparable outcomes for Bebtelovimab and Nirmatrelvir treatment (J Inf Dis) 38:37
- COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s disease (J Alzheimer’s Dis) 41:05
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Contribute to Floating Doctors fundraiser at PWB 43:14
- Letters read on TWiV 938 43:42
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org
Agreed that the pandemic is *not* over (i.e., in the U.S.) – but recall even the CDC has pretended it is for some time – removing covid mask recommendations, etc., specifically for “political/economic” reasons. This is basically what that pandemic pronouncement was/is about: the majority of U.S. citizens continue to struggle with increasing de facto slide into multi-generational poverty. We professionals just don’t see this majority in our worlds; motorcycles, boats, airline flights, etc. (other than insular, perhaps, as patients)
Is it possible for Dr. Griffen to discuss acute flaccid myelitis in kids? LOVE all your shows. Finding out about microbe tv has been one of the only true benefits of COVID 19. Thank you for all you do.