In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin discusses detection of a highly divergent type 3 vaccine-derived poliovirus in a child with a severe primary immunodeficiency disorder, severe respiratory illnesses associated with rhinoviruses and/or enteroviruses including EV-D68, effects of vaccination and previous infection on Omicron infections in children, COVID-19-associated hospitalizations among vaccinated and unvaccinated adults 18 years or older in 13 US states, effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines over time prior to Omicron emergence in Ontario, Canada, nasal IgA wanes 9 months after hospitalization with COVID-19 and is not induced by subsequent vaccination, resistance of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron subvariant BA.4.6 to antibody neutralization, persistent circulating SARS-CoV-2 spike associated with post-acute COVID-19 sequelae, and impact of COVID-19 vaccination on the risk of developing long-covid and on existing long-covid symptoms.
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 936 (31 MB .mp3, 52 min)
Subscribe (free): Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Detection of poliovirus in immunosuppressed child (CDC) 3:38
- Severe respiratory illnesses associated with rhinoviruses and/or enteroviruses (CDC) 14:53
- Effects of vaccination and previous Omicron infection in children (NEJM) 24:04
- COVID-19 hospitalizations among vaccinated and unvaccinated adults (JAMA) 29:28
- Effectiveness of vaccines prior to Omicron (IDSA) 30:32
- Nasal iga wanes 9 months after COVID hospitalization (medRxiv) 32:00
- Resistance of Omicron subvariant to antibody neutralization (BioRxiv) 35:30
- PAXLOVID patient eligibility screening checklist (FDA)
- Remdesivir fact sheet for providers (Veklury)
- Bebtelovimab fact sheet for providers (FDA)
- SARS-CoV-2 spike is associated with post-acute sequelae (IDSA) 38:57
- Impact of vaccination on the risk of developing long-COVID (The Lancet) 40:35
- Contribute to Floating Doctors fundraiser at PWB 42:33
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Letters read on TWiV 936 43:05
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org
Did Vincent just recommend that we over-65’ers go to Walgrens or Costco (or wherever) and get IPV? Born in 1954, I have no idea or record of what Polio vaccination I received, and I’m still listening for the wisdom (from TWiV) of what the longevity of protection from infection is provided by the common vaccines in the 1950’s. USAF/SMC “rocket scientist” here – thank you for sharing knowledge and facts. I love learning the things you provide.
What are your thoughts on the use of Kratom for acute and chronic symptoms from Covid-19?