In his weekly clinical update Dr. Griffin discusses the public health response to a polio case in a unvaccinated NY state resident, human to dog transmission of monkeypox virus, Tecovirimat and the treatment of monkeypox, detection of asymptomatic monkeypox virus infections among male sexual health clinic attendees in Belgium, what to do if you are exposed to SARS-CoV-2 and isolation and precautions for people with COVID-19, risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in health care workers, effectiveness of HEPA filters at removing infectious SARS-CoV-2 from the air, Pfizer reports additional data on Paxlovid, hospitalization encounters for infection after Paxlovid, a randomized trial of Metformin, Ivermectin, and Fluvoxamine, and readmissions, post-discharge mortality and sustained recovery among patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19.
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 928 (25 MB .mp3, 42 min)
Subscribe (free): Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Response to Polio case in an unvaccinated person in New York (CDC) 1:58
- Human to dog transmission of Monkeypox virus (The Lancet) 9:53
- Tecovirimat for the treatment of Monkeypox (NEJM) 15:15
- Detection of asymptomatic Monkeypox among Belgian men (Nature Medicine) 17:17
- Exposure to disease and precautions (CDC) 19:30
- Risk of infection in healthcare workers (JAMA) 24:36
- Effectiveness of HEPA filters (ASM) 25:32
- PAXLOVID patient eligibility screening checklist (FDA)
- Remdesivir fact sheet for providers (Veklury)
- Bebtelovimab fact sheet for providers (FDA)
- Pfizer reports additional data on PAXLOVID (Pfizer) 27:40
- Hospitalization encounters for infection after PAXLOVID (CDC) 28:09
- Trial for Metformin, Ivermectin, and Fluvoxamine (NEJM) 30:46
- Readmission, post-discharge mortality, recovery among patients (IDSA) 34:04
- Contribute to Floating Doctors fundraiser at PWB 35:16
- Dr. Griffin’s treatment guide (pdf)
- Letters read on TWiV 928 35:39
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your questions for Dr. Griffin to firstname.lastname@example.org
What gives? I was listening to Dr. Daniel Griffin talk about the ONE guy who travelled to Europe, was in a crowd, swears he had no sexual contact, yet contracted MPX. This was offered as proof that MPX can be spread during casual contact. In the media reports it has also been framed that MPX is can be transmitted in crowds due to this one case but some reports end stating that the man had a positive rectal culture. Are those reports accurate? Does Dr. Griffin feel that the positive rectal culture was from wiping? I listen to TWIV wanting the truth.