Moshe and Ivet join TWiV to discuss their finding that MIS-C is a consequence of a superantigen in the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 that causes activation of a skewed population of T cell receptor bearing lymphocytes, leading to hyperinflammation.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- MIS-C in US children (NEJM)
- Superantigen in spike and T cell skewing in MIS-C (PNAS)
- MIS-C mimics toxic shock syndrome (J Allergy Clin Immunol)
- Antibody against bacterial superantigen blocks SARS-CoV-2 entry (Structure) 30:53
- Autoimmune signature of MIS-C in children (J Clin Invest)
- HLA1 associated T cell expansion in MIS-C (J Clin Invest)
- Passing of Bill Wold (one, two) 1:12:36
- Letters read on TWiV 815 1:16:44
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 1:39:30
Dickson – Mel Brooks
Kathy – Dickson’s art show at Fordham
Rich – Saildrone captures footage from inside Hurricane Sam
Vincent – A Shot to Save the World: The Inside Story of the Life-or-Death Race for a COVID-19 Vaccine by Gregory Zuckerman
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org