Vincent, Alan, Dickson, and Rich talk about treating arthritis with a tanapox virus protein, Darwinian evolution of prions in cell culture, and the connection between cold weather fronts and outbreaks of avian H5N1 influenza in Europe.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #78 (53 MB .mp3, 73 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Treating arthritis with a tanapox virus protein that antagonizes TNF (press release and research article)
- Darwinian evolution of prions in cell culture (abstract)
- Simple diagram of prion propagation (Wikipedia)
- Thoughts on the pursuit of success in science by Charles Weissmann
- Cold fronts linked to European H5N1 outbreaks (PLoS Pathogens)
- Simon Singh’s website and letter of support (thanks, Mary!)
- The importance of stupidity in scientific research (thanks, Mary!)
- Sustainable energy – without the hot air (thanks, Bernhard!)
- World Community Grid (thanks Dave!)
- Pre-order The Vertical Farm by Dickson Despommier
- Letters read on TWiV 78
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.