Robert Garry joins TWiV to explain how the molecular biology of SARS-CoV-2 shows that it came from Nature and not a lab, including the receptor binding domain, the furin cleavage site, and the two lineages circulating in Wuhan wildlife markets.
Guest: Robert Garry
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 (Nature) 8:56
- Two early genome lineages in Wuhan markets (virological.org) 38:18
- Insights from spike proteins of bat sarbecoviruses (virological.org) 1:06:06
- Letters read on TWiV 762 1:15:02
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Picks 48:43, 1:36:35
Dickson – 143 Optical Illusions and Visual Phenomena
Brianne – The Arcane Research that Prepared Us for COVID-19
Rich – Hidden Brain podcast
Alan – A scientific theory of gist communication
Vincent – Divisive COVID ‘lab leak’ debate prompts dire warnings from researchers
Jon – Moderna Science Day
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com