The TWiV scientists reveal that mosquitoes transmit different West Nile virus populations with each blood meal, only to have the diversity purged in a bird host.
Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, and Kathy Spindler
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 451 (63 MB .mp3, 104 min)
Subscribe (free): iTunes, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Driving past a milestone (TWiP 100) 10:25
- Debug Fresno (Verily blog) 18:30
- What could possibly go wrong? (TWiV 388) 19:55
- Chestnut blight(ProMedMail) 24:45
- Hypovirus molecular biology (Adv Virus Res) 27:00
- Mosquitoes transmit unique WNV populations(Cell Rep) 31:15
- Teaching science using pseudoscience 1:07:15
- Image credit
- Letters read on TWiV 451 7:05, 1:02:00
Timestamps by Jennifer. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:29:45
Kathy – Approaching Jupiter and Michigan parents about vaccination
Rich – Math Limericks from Futility Closet
Alan – NASA flyover of Pluto
Vincent – Talk show host nominated as USDA chief scientist
Neil – These smart girls are here to debunk anti-vaxxer nonsense
John – John Sever AMA
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply