Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Elio Schaechter and Michele Swanson.
Vincent, Elio, and Michele review how horizontal gene transfer from bacteria to an insect genome enables a tripartite nested mealybug symbiosis, and how probiotic bacteria work by competing for iron in the intestine.
Right click to download TWiM #61 (44 MB .mp3, 60 minutes).
Subscribe to TWiM (free) on iTunes, via RSS feed, by email or listen on your mobile device with the Microbeworld app.
Links for this episode:
- Horizontal gene transfer from bacteria to an insect genome (Cell)
- Debugging symbiosis (TWiM #17)
- Probiotic bacteria compete for iron (Cell Host Microbe)
- Intestinal irony (Cell Host Microbe)
- An inflamed gut is good for Salmonella (TWiM #27)
- Letters read on TWiM 061
Send your microbiology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply