Anne Simon joins the TWiV team to talk about plant viruses, including plum pox virus that devastates nut and stone fruit trees, and a geminivirus protein that regulates viral DNA synthesis.
Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, Brianne Barker, and Anne Simon
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 512 (62 MB .mp3, 103 min)
Subscribe (free): iTunes, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Support Viruses Gordon Conference
- Potyvirus (ViralZone) 42:34
- Plum pox (Wikipedia) 11:29, 42:10
- History, biology, management of plum pox (Mich St Ext) 13:22
- Papaya ring spot virus (Bus Man) 26:37
- Geminivirus (ViralZone) 48:03
- Geminivirus rep impairs PCNA SUMOylation (J Virol) 45:11, 52:38
- Image credit
- Letters read on TWiV 512 3:34, 1:18:01
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:28:33
Brianne – Why are so many genes unstudied? (Zimmer and Yong)
Alan – Unveiling the RNA World
Rich – Spaghetti mystery solved (PNAS paper)
Dickson – Science Fair
Vincent – A PhD Lab Coat Ceremony
Stephen – Flu vaccine myth rant by Crislip
Jolene – Research Matters in PLoS Path and PLoS Biology
Nicholas – Charity Matters app
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply