The TWiV team considers whether those who can do, can’t teach, and newly discovered viruses of planarians and Aplysia with the largest RNA genomes.
Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Kathy Spindler and Brianne Barker
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 509 (64 MB .mp3, 106 min)
Subscribe (free): iTunes, Google Podcasts, RSS, email
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Support Viruses Gordon Conference 4:12
- KNAW Beijerinck Prize 4:30
- Bioterrorism and Biocrimes by Seth Carus (free pdf) 8:09
- History of Biological Warfare by Seth Carus (free) 9:31
- Those Who Can Do, Can’t Teach (NYTimes) 19:23
- Planarian nidovirus (bioRxiv) 33:23
- Aplysia nidovirus (bioRxiv) 34:07, 55:07
- Image credit
- Letters read on TWiV 509 7:43, 1:10:25
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:29:11
Brianne – Climate change visualization
Alan – Anova sous vide cooker
Dickson – Fire season in western US
Kathy – Sunscreen in UV and The Projector Illusion
Vincent – The Usefulness of Useless Knowledge
River – The Conscience of the Present
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply