Jens returns to present a brief history of bioweapons, with a focus on the program in the Soviet Union, the largest ever undertaken, and his experience working in the decommissioned Soviet bioweapons laboratory known as Vector.
Guest: Jens Kuhn
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Russia’s Bioweapons Labs (Nature) 1:44:37
- Medical Aspects of Biological Warfare 1:45:20
- The Soviet Biological Weapons Program by Leitenberg, Zilinskas, Kuhn 39:32, 1:44:22
- Biological Threats in the 21st Century by Lentzos
- Bioterrorism and Biocrimes by W. Seth Carus (pdf) 1:45:57
- Russia’s Secret Weapons (Nature) 1:44:53
- Image credit
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:49:12
Jens – Nudibranchs, Beastly Garden, large nidovirus (one, two)
Rich –Living inside a canister
Dickson – Global rivers and streams
Kathy – TWiM 181 Dr. Warhol’s Periodic Table of Microbes
Vincent – Twitter Bots and Russian Trolls Amplify Vaccine Debate
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com