The TWiVodrome considers the intestinal tract as an alternative infection route for MERS coronavirus, and how reduced accumulation of defective viral RNAs might lead to severe influenza.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- HaHa influenza virus (mBio)
- MERS coronavirus intestinal transmission (Sci Adv)
- Simulated gastric and intestinal fluids
- Defective genomes and severe influenza (PLoS Path)
- Illustration is a coronavirus (Image credit)
- Letters read on TWiV 481
Weekly Science Picks
Kathy – CD45.1 and CD45.2 mice may not be functionally equivalent
Rich – Relative humidity versus dewpoint (video)
Dickson – Underwater photography winners
Alan – Photo of a single atom
Vincent – Proposed Federal science budget cuts and The Blog is Dead
Jess – Louis Tompkins Wright
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com