Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Rich Condit, and Kathy Spindler
The TWiV team discusses how skin scarification promotes a nonspecific immune response, and whether remaining stocks of smallpox virus should be destroyed.
Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 284 (74 MB .mp3, 103 min)
Subscribe (free): iTunes, RSS, email
Links for this episode
- Skin scarification protects against vaccinia virus disease (J Virol)
- Smallpox research agenda (PLoS Path)
- WHO report on variola research (pdf)
- Review of smallpox research program for WHO (pdf)
- Should variola virus be destroyed? (poll at virology blog)
- How I record my lectures (virology blog)
- Letters read on TWiV 284
Weekly Science Picks
Rich – EPCOT
Vincent – Medical Biotechnology
Kathy – Alan Alda interview and Flame Challenge winner
Dickson – NASA live from space
Listener Pick of the Week
Nicola – 50 cent microscope (be a beta tester)
Jon – Camtasia Studio
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The “how I record my lectures” link is broken.
Thanks – fixed!
This was a completely amazing TWIV. I wish I could “favorite” it, because I want to be able to come back to it. The boosted immune response with scarification was fascinating, the philosophical discussion about whether to keep or destroy remaining smallpox stocks and finally a revisit of the Tamiflu episode via Mark Crislip was all just wonderful. Thank you!