TWiM explains how photoferrotrophic bacteria initiated plate tectonics over 2500 million years ago, and how two bacteria work together to cause childhood tooth decay.
Guest: Mark O. Martin
Right click to download TWiM #291 (45 MB .mp3, 62 minutes)
Become a Patron of TWiM!
Links for this episode:
- Bacteria initiated plate tectonics (Geophys Res Lett)
- Medea hypothesis (Sci Am)
- Earth’s ferrous wheel (Nature)
- The Great Dying (Nova)
- The Great Oxidation Event (ASM)
- Banded iron formations (EarthSphere)
- S. sputigena and tooth decay (Nat Comm)
- Acid tolerance mechanisms of S. mutans (Fut. Micro.)
- Halitosis patients’ tongue biofilm (Microbiol. Open)
Music used on TWiM is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your microbiology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org