Mark returns to TWiM to join in a discussion of soil microbiota as game-changers in restoration of degraded lands, and discovery of a centimeter-long bacterium, the biggest yet discovered.
Guest: Mark O. Martin
Right click to download TWiM #261 (57 MB .mp3, 70 minutes)
Become a Patron of TWiM!
Links for this episode:
- Game-changing soil microbiota (Science)
- A World Without Soil by Jo Handlesman
- A World Without Soil video (YouTube)
- Centimeter-long bacteria (bioRxiv)
- How large can a bacteria get? (YouTube)
- Giant bacteria (YouTube)
- Three faces of Thiomargarita (Small Things Considered)
- The microbe that could be seen (Small Things Considered)
- Energetics of the eukaryotic edge (Small Things Considered)
- A lakeside tale (Small Things Considered)
- Letters read on TWiM 261
Music used on TWiM is composed and performed by Ronald Jenkees and used with permission.
Send your microbiology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org