Vincent, Alan, and Rich are enthralled by movies of vaccinia virus plaque formation, then consider how repulsion of superinfection virions leads to rapid virus spread, and a therapeutic prostate cancer vaccine.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc. Use the promotion code VINCENT to receive $50 off a Drobo or $100 off a Drobo S.
Win a free Drobo S! Contest rules here.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #68 (58 MB .mp3, 80 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Rapid virus spread by repulsion of superinfection virions
- Movie of vaccinia virus plaque formation (download .mov)
- Movie of GFP-vaccinia virus plaque formation (download .mov)
- More amazing vaccinia virus movies
- Prostate cancer vaccine (Reuters article, original research)
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.