Vincent and Dickson review a multistate outbreak of cyclosporiasis caused by the single-celled coccidian parasite Cyclospora cayetanensis.
The day after recording this episode, ProMedMail reported that the outbreak of cyclosporiasis had spread to Texas.
Download TWiP #57 (46 MB .mp3, 77 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Cyclosporiasis (CDC)
- Cyclospora life cycle (CDC)
- Cyclosporiasis (Wikipedia)
- Cyclosporiasis outbreak, US (one, two, three) (ProMedMail)
- Cyclosporiasis outbreak moves to Texas (ProMedMail)
- Notifiable diseases, US, 2011 (CDC)
- Federal funding for science research (virology blog)
- Oculus of Singapore (YouTube)
- Dickson recording TWiP 57 (jpg)
- Dickson’s stuff (jpg)
- People, Parasites, and Plowshares by Dickson Despommier
- Letters read on TWiP 57
Send your questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com