Today Dr. David Baltrus, Associate Professor of Plant Sciences at the University of Arizona, talks with us about how his laboratory studies bacteria that battle one another; the first rule of this fight club is that EVERYONE talks about Microbial Fight Club.
Host: Mark O. Martin
Guest: David Baltrus
Become a patron of Matters Microbial!
Links for this episode
- Here is a wonderful and easy to read essay about bacterial predators, including Bdellovibrio, from Scientific American.
- “2001: A Space Odyssey” remains an important motion picture.
- The animated movie “The Iron Giant” is entertaining and has important messages.
- Kaitlin Kariko, Drew Weissman, and the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine.
- Jo Handelsman’s wonderful “Tiny Earth” program, helping students to search for new antibiotic producing bacteria.
- Elio Schaechter’s absolutely essential guide/view of the changing microbial landscape in terms of organizing our knowledge.
- A nice introductory review of tailocins.
- A more exhaustive review of talocins.
- A really interesting article on this topic—and how tailocins might be used in agriculture— from Dr. Baltrus’ laboratory.
- Dr. Baltrus’ laboratory website can be found here.
Intro music is by Reber Clark
Send your questions and comments to email@example.com