Philip writes:

I currently  take Atorvastatin which I understand is not compatible with Paxlovid.

I would think about suspending it if I get Covid and say to hell with the lipids for a week or two.

I have an appointment with my doctor in April.  I may discuss switching to another statin.

What are your thoughts on this to TWIVland?

Madeline writes:

Hello Dr. Griffin,

COVID has finally found my family, and of course the experience brings up some questions. My husband and I are both 32 and triple vaxxed and we have a 7 month old son, who obviously is not. 

Due to a negative rapid test about 24h post symptom onset, we thought it wasn’t COVID, and by the time we had a rapid come positive the next day, my son and I were clearly improving. This was really the best case scenario: without having the stress of worrying about COVID while it was in the acute phase, I now know that my son now has some active immunity and didn’t have to suffer much for it. But then I was thinking about how hospitalizations aren’t really due to the acute infection so much as the inflammatory phase of the disease, and I wondered: are we necessarily in the clear yet? For example if classic COVID is one week viral and one week inflammatory phase, would you expect that a 2 day viral course would also have a 2 day inflammatory phase? Or does SARS-COV2 only get the immune system really revved up when it’s lot of virus? Or is it a lot of virus for a long time that matters? For us it feels like it will be another day or two of feeling crummy, so I’m not worried, but still curious.



Fiona writes:

Hi Daniel,

Or rather ‘kia ora’ as I’m writing from New Zealand and te reo Māori is an official language here 😀

Here in NZ/Aotearoa our vaccination rates for adults are getting good and high. Third dose rates are climbing too. 

However children between 5 and 12 are still  only on their first dose of the vaccine as NZ is doing an 8 week gap between doses.

We’re just going into our worst wave of covid. We were able to pretty much hold off sars cov 2 until very recently, and get vaccination rates up as much as possible before omicron started spreading. 

How will our children fare against omicron with just a partial dose?

It’s possible second doses will open up sooner than eight weeks.

But if not our 11 year old is two weeks away from being eligible for his second vaccination. Then there’d be a bit of time needed for that to work effectively I think. So that’s potentially a month without good protection against omicron?

What would your recommendations be?

Thank you (‘ngā mihi’),


Mary writes:

Given the CDC report from 1/22 showing decreased Covid vaccine effectiveness for  ED/UC visits and hospitalizations 4 months post booster, would it be advisable for a pregnant woman whose delivery date is 4 months past her booster to get another shot (so a 4th shot)?  Would age be a factor in this decision?

Thanks, Mary