Today Dr. Arash Komeili, professor of plant and microbial biology at UC Berkeley, joins the #QualityQuorum to discuss compartmentalization in bacteria, and the amazing world of living magnets—the magnetotactic bacteria!
Host: Mark O. Martin
Guest: Arash Komeili
Become a patron of Matters Microbial!
Links for this episode
- “Hooked by Bex”’s Etsy page.
- An introduction to Paenibacillus.
- More wonderful information on this fascinating bacterium.
- Another remarkable article on colony pattern formation by this microbe.
- An interesting essay about how Paenibacillus can move other organisms around, from the wonderful Small Things Considered blog.
- Muriwai Beach in New Zealand.
- Magnetic sand in New Zealand article.
- A lovely introductory video about magnetotactic bacteria.
- A video “dance” of the magnetotactic bacteria.
- An introduction to magnetotactic bacteria.
- Techniques to isolate/enrich for magnetotactic bacteria of your own.
- A wonderful article on analyzing magnetotactic microbes from the Komeili lab.
- Dr. Komeili’s faculty website.
- Dr. Komeili’s laboratory website.
Intro music is by Reber Clark
Send your questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org