Vincent, Dickson, and Alan consider a broad spectrum antiviral against enveloped viruses, how a plant virus induces chemical signals in the host to maximize its spread, a new way to preserve viral vaccines at tropical temperatures, and the continuing story of XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #70 (56 MB .mp3, 77 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Broad spectrum antiviral against enveloped viruses
- Chemical signals induced by a plant virus attract insect vectors to inferior hosts
- New vaccine technology to make viral vaccines stable at tropical temperatures
- Second UK study fails to find XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome patients (pdf)
- Nature podcast with Simon Singh and petition (thanks André!)
- Letter on Wolbachia and bees (thanks Tom!)
- Dickson fishing in Argentina (jpg)
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com.