Vincent, Alan, and Rich review recent outbreaks of mumps in the UK, US, and Israel, protection of mice against 2009 H1N1 influenza A virus by 1918-like and classical swine H1N1 vaccines, and a virus-like particle vaccine for chikungunya virus.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #69 (59 MB .mp3, 82 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Mumps outbreak in Israel (ProMedMail and Eurosurveillance; thanks Lenn!) and Iowa
- Retraction of Wakefield vaccines- autism study
- Immunization with 1918-like and classical swine H1N1 influenza viruses protects against 2009 H1N1 strain
- Virus-like particle vaccine for chikungunya virus
- Image: antigenic differences in HA structures of 1918, Cal/09 and Bris/59/07 viruses
- Paul Ewald articles (thanks Atila!): one, two, and three, and a recent review of the hypothesis
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com.