The TWiXers discuss a study on vertical transmission of Zika virus by Aedes mosquitoes, and uncovering Earth’s virome by mining existing metagenomic sequence data.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Roger Tsien, 64 (UC San Diego Health) 16:15
- CDC running out of Zika money (NYTimes) 22:40
- Zika virus in Miami mosquitoes (NYTimes) 17:30
- No Zika virus in Rio Olympics (NYTimes) 25:40
- Vertical transmission of Zika virus in Aedes aegypti (AJTMH) 27:00
- Uncovering Earth’s virome (Nature) 29:30
- Image credit (Global water volume)
- Letters read on TWiV 405 4:15, 1:06:40
This episode is brought to you by CuriosityStream, a subscription streaming service that offers over 1,400 documentaries and nonfiction series from the world’s best filmmakers. Get unlimited access starting at just $2.99 a month, and for our audience, the first two months are completel free if you sign up at curiositystream.com/microbe and use the promo code MICROBE. 0:25, 26:55
This episode is also brought to you by Drobo, a family of safe, expandable, yet simple to use storage arrays. Drobos are designed to protect your important data forever. Visit www.drobo.com to learn more. Listeners can save $100 on a Drobo system at drobostore.com by using the discount code Microbe100. 0:50, 1:02:00
Weekly Science Picks 1:42:40
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com