Gertrud joins the TWiVoners to review how dengue virus infection of mosquitoes alters blood feeding behavior, and gene therapy as practiced by parasitoid wasps.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV 179 (76 MB .mp3, 105 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Renato Dulbecco, 1914-2012 (virology blog)
- William Jarrett, 83 (thanks, Lynn Enquist)
- Dengue virus infection of mosquitoes alters their behavior (PLoS Path)
- Does dengue make mosquitoes thirstier for blood? (NY Times)
- Polydnaviruses of braconid wasps (Science)
- Making nice with viruses (Science)
- Viral and wasp genes involved in symbiotic replication (J Virol)
- Amazing parasitic wasp images
- The Far Side cartoon on mosquitoes (gif)
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 179
Weekly Science Picks
Listener Pick of the Week
Ricardo – Evolution: The Natural History of Animal Skeletons
Peter – Self-assembly line (YouTube)
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com.