The TwiModulators discuss aerosolization of bacteria and viruses in an ocean-atmosphere mesocosm, and how the common practice of decontaminating produce with chlorine produces viable but non-culturable pathogens.
Right click to download TWiM#179 (37 MB .mp3, 76 minutes)
Become a Patron of TWiM!
Links for this episode
- Taxon-specific aerosolization of bacteria and viruses (Nat Commun)
- Chlorine produces viable but non-culturable bacteria (mBio)
- Chlorine washing fails bacteria test (Guardian)
- Foodborne illness in US: Major pathogens (CDC)
- Chlorine dilution calculator (Public Health Toronto)
- Multistate foodborne outbreak investigations (CDC)
- Image credit
- Transcript of this episode (html or pdf)
- Letters read on TWiM 179
Music used on TWiM is composed and performed by Ronald Jenkees and used with permission.
Send your microbiology questions and comments to email@example.com