This episode: Some fungi change from making plants sick to being helpful to plants! How do plants react to them?
Download Episode (8.1 MB, 8.8 minutes)
Hacquard S, Kracher B, Hiruma K, Münch PC, Garrido-Oter R, Thon MR, Weimann A, Damm U, Dallery J-F, Hainaut M, Henrissat B, Lespinet O, Sacristán S, Themaat EVL van, Kemen E, McHardy AC, Schulze-Lefert P, O’Connell RJ. 2016. Survival trade-offs in plant roots during colonization by closely related beneficial and pathogenic fungi. Nat Commun 7:11362.
Other interesting stories:
- New E. coli can tolerate different stages of biofuel production
- Microbes can protect each other from toxins such as antibiotics
- Even grains can benefit from nitrogen-fixing bacteria (paper)
- Ninja star bacterial disposable battery
- Evolving E. coli to fix CO2 (when given very rich food source)
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!