This episode: Newly discovered bacteria can break down especially long-lived type of plastic!
Download Episode (6.4 MB, 7 minutes)
Yoshida S, Hiraga K, Takehana T, Taniguchi I, Yamaji H, Maeda Y, Toyohara K, Miyamoto K, Kimura Y, Oda K. 2016. A bacterium that degrades and assimilates poly(ethylene terephthalate). Science 351:1196–1199.
Other interesting stories:
- Worms may help gut health by modifying microbe community
- Figuring out how breastmilk helps babies’ microbes
- Gut bacteria can affect fruit fly reproduction (paper)
- Bacteria can crawl along and kill fungal filaments (paper)
- Feeding mice fiber for bacteria increases their anti-inflammatory effect (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!