This episode: Hot spring archaea prefer to use elements that give them less energy even when more energetic options are available!
Download Episode (8.1 MB, 8.8 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Vitreoscilla beggiatoides
Amenabar MJ, Shock EL, Roden EE, Peters JW, Boyd ES. 2017. Microbial substrate preference dictated by energy demand rather than supply. Nat Geosci 10:577–581.
Other interesting stories:
- Developing good methods for using skin microbiome for forensics(paper)
- Microbe discovered that consumes groundwater contaminant dioxane
- Mucus-eating gut microbes can produce beneficial nutrients and vitamins (paper)
- Making new beer and wine flavors with different yeast
- Providing leaf microbiota to help endangered plants survive in wild
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!
Subscribe at iTunes or Google Play, support the show at Patreon, or check out the show at Twitter, or Facebook