This episode: Viruses domesticated by parasitoid wasps have transferred wasp genes to caterpillar victims, allowing them to survive deadly infections from other viruses! This means that Monarch butterflies are effectively naturally Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).
Download Episode (13.8 MB, 15 minutes)
Gasmi L, Boulain H, Gauthier J, Hua-Van A, Musset K, Jakubowska AK, Aury J-M, Volkoff A-N, Huguet E, Herrero S, Drezen J-M. 2015. Recurrent Domestication by Lepidoptera of Genes from Their Parasites Mediated by Bracoviruses. PLOS Genet 11:e1005470.
Other interesting stories:
- Similar math can describe electrons flowing and bacteria swimming
- Natural plant bacteria can control corn pathogen (paper)
- CO2 in oceans makes them acidic, bacteria less able to recycle dead material
- Making wood better for biofuel affects community of plant microbes
- A place on Earth where even microbes might not live
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!