Kevin writes:


I have appreciated the calm level headedness during this whole time. I look forward to your weekly updates more than I should in many ways. My son is 12 and we got him his first dose the first weekend it was available. He is due for his next dose June 5th. I am reading in some places that perhaps delaying the second dose a few weeks/month might lower the myocarditis “risk” that some kids are experiencing. I assume this would violate the “never miss a chance to vaccinate” credo, but wanted a direct answer from someone I have grown to trust on this specific issue. I am not even considering permanently postponing the second dose,  I just wanted your opinion. Please treat this as you are in my shoes as his father. Thank you for all you have done to do your part. If you had told me 18 months ago I would be listening to weekly clinical updates and podcasts about cleavage sites and mRNA vaccines I would have called you crazy. Be well.


Josh writes:

Dear Daniel & TWIV crew,

Our 75 year old mother, has been diagnosed with Plasma Cell Leukemia and has been hospitalized for observation and started on Dexamethasone and is to begin Bortezomib and Lenalidomide. She has received one dose of Pfizer in March and her second dose had been delayed in Canada till July. She has been offered the second dose now. Is this recommended as her immune system is very taxed at present and will her shot be compromised by Chemo treatments? Curious about your approach in this scenario. 

Love the show and thank you for all the work you do!

TWIV fan, Josh in Toronto. 

Lee writes:

I have a question, and I’m not sure who to ask, but I had about 6 weeks of complications after I received the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine over a month ago.

Without going into details, I feel that a complication with a prior disease i had when i was a child (mononucleosis/Epstien Barr disease) has something to do with why the vaccine made me very ill for about 6 weeks. 

Is there any information available on this, or anyone I could talk to about this?  The vaccine is so new, and none of the doctors I have talked to locally have any idea.  They only suggested that the vaccine triggered something that was dormant to become active again.  I had all of the symptoms of mono again, plus some other neurological symptoms.  

Thanks for any help and your time.  Even if it is to point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate some help to understand this.


Jennifer writes:

Dr. Griffin,

My mother went through breast cancer treatment and has been in remission for approximately 5 years; however, she was left with peripheral neuropathy affecting her legs. Additionally, she had COVID in Feb 2021.

She asked her primary care MD if she should get the COVID vaccine and the doctor’s answer was, “well I had to get it, so it is up to you.”  I’m not sure that was the most effective response.  So, my mother looked online for information and of course found lots of disinformation.  She is hesitant to get the vaccine as she is concerned it will worsen the neuropathy.  Can you please provide guidance that will enable her to make a proper decision?

Thanks you,

Jennifer Dorton, Deputy Director