Vincent and Alan talk about President-elect Obama’s choices for his science advisors, SARS sensationalism, a new enteric picornavirus, and the top 10 virology stories of 2008.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #13 (34 MB .mp3, 49 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Obama’s science advisors (Yahoo story)
- CDC RSS feed on influenza
- PNAS paper on a new enteric picornavirus
TWiV’s top 10 virology stories of 2008:
1. Nobel Prize in Medicine to Montagnier, Barré-Sinoussi, and zur Hausen
2. AIDS elite controllers partly explained
3. Cancellation of PAVE HIV-1 vaccine trial
4. Gut homing receptor for HIV-1
5. New Ebola strain
6. New mosquito virus
7. How mosquitoes survive virus infection
8. Mouse model for Chikungunya
9. Genome sequences of 150 avian influenza virus strains
10. Understanding the RS virus vaccine failure
Science blog of the week: Aetiology
Science podcast pick of the week: biobytes
Science book of the week: Principles of Virology, 3rd Edition by Flint, Enquist, Racaniello, and Skalka. Details on how to win a free copy here.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great 2009!