Vincent, Alan, Rich, and special guest Dr. Kirsten Sanford talk about her career in science media, then consider whether smallpox eradication led to the AIDS pandemic, high fidelity RNA synthesis, and a new Ebola virus vaccine.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #83 (66 MB .mp3, 91 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Does smallpox vaccine protect against HIV? (thanks, Srinivas; Washington Post and BMC Immunology)
- Was the deltaCRR5 mutation fixed in the human population by smallpox?
- A proofreader in the SARS coronavirus genome
- New ebola vaccine protects monkeys
- House of Numbers trailer, website, Wikipedia article (thanks, Levi!)
- Letters read on TWiV 83
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.